Tribulus terrestris (protodioscin) on oligo-zoospermia
N. Moeloek, A. Adimoelja, T. Tanojo, and W. Pangkahila
Proceedings of the VIth National Congress and IIIrd International
Symposium on New Perspectives of Andrology on Human Reproduction
National Congress of Indonesian Association of Andrologs. Scientific
Meeting VI in Manado (1994)
Tribulus terrestris L. is a natural, non-hormonal herbal preparation.
This trial focuses on determining the effect of this preparation
on the fertility of men with oligozoospermia.
A three-centered study in Indonesia (the cities of Jakarta, Surabaya,
and Denpasar) include 45 subjects. Thirty six of these men compose
the experimental group, and are administered Tribulus terrestris
L. (Libilov), whereas 9 are given placebo (control group).
The study includes analyses of three phases:
- Before treatment
- During treatment (9 weeks)
- After treatment (3 weeks after treatment)
The findings of the study are:
1. There is no clear difference in semen volume and sperm mobility
after treatment. However, there are improvement in sperm concentration
2. There is no change in the level of sex hormones in both the
experimental and control group.
3. There are 8 pregnancies in the experimental group, whereas there
is no pregnancy achieved in the control group.